Mamba BO.oK Quotes

Saturday, July 31, 2010

"Within the stockade of the Mamba people there was much light and noise. I could hear the sounds of their musical instruments, and the pounding of their drums. Within the stockade, too, we could hear the chanting of the people and the beating of sticks, carried in the hands of dancers." ~ Explorers of Gor

((The above quote shows indeed that the Mambas had musical culture. We have infered that, along with drums and sticks, the Mambas also used flutes, insinuated by the term "musical intruments". Most rainforest tribes use flutes, along with gourdes filled with beans to mimick the sound maraccas would make. The quote also shows that the Mamba people must have had some sort of rituals. Cannibalism was often accompanied by some sort of ritualistic dance. The quote does not specify whether or not the dancers are slaves, or simply members of the tribe. However, a guess can be made that the Mambas did indeed keep slaves.))

The word 'Mamba' in most of the river dialects does not refer to a venomous reptile as might be expected, given its meaning in English, but, interestingly, is applied rather generally to most types of predatory river tharlarion. The Mamba people were, so to speak, the Tharlarion people. The Mamba people ate human flesh. So, too, does the tharlarion. It Is thus, doubtless, that the people obtained their name. ---Explorers of Gor, 44:393

the Schendi word for river tharlarion, the predatory alligator-like creature which inhabits the rainforest rivers inland of Schendi; also a tribe of Schendi cannibals. ---Explorers of Gor, 32:326

((John Norman did not elaborate much when describing the culture of the Mambas to us in his books. Thus, we have taken the liberty of filling in the gaps as best we can, using what little information we have from the books. This is only an interpretation, put towards how the roleplay of the Mambas works.))

"They are gone," said the leader of the small men. "They were taken by the Mamba people, those who file their teeth." ---Explorers of Gor

"The chieftain of the Mamba people rolled screaming at the wall, and then, scratching and screaming, tried to drag himself toward the gate. The villagers, however, in their departure, had closed it, hoping thereby to contain the ants." ~ Explorers of Gor

((The above quote was taken from the passage where Tarl leads the marcher ants into the Mamba village. Once the people are attacked, they flee, though, interestingly enough, without their leader. This quote may show what loyalties lie within the tribe. That none are loyal enough to risk their life to save their leader. That basically, it is every Mamba for themself. The Mambas not only abandon their leader, but leave him to a horrible and painful death, showing the lack of empathy towards one-another as well.))

"How many men may I have?" I asked.
"Two or three will be sufficient," said the leader of the small men, "but because we are so fond of you, I, and nine others, will accompany you."
"That is perhaps generous," I said, "but how do you propose that the camp of the Mamba people be stormed with so few men?"
"We shall recruit allies," said the small man. "They are nearby even now."
~ Explorers of Gor

((This quote shows Tarl's uncertainty about invading the Mamba village with so few men, suggesting that the Mambas are worthy foes. Also, the quote shown below states close to the same. The pygmies fear the Mambas, fear their weapons, size, and numbers. They thought it not the least bit unusual that Tarl would abandon his party, thus escaping the Mambas, to save himself, which is what they thought he was doing. Also, the keen prowress of the Mamba people can be derived from the below quote as well, as they were not detected by Tarl, and were only detected by the pygmies because they are well educated in terms of the jungle. The quote also shows that the Mambas use spears and knives as their main form of weaponry.))

"Kisu!" I called, alarmed. "Ayari! Tende! Alice!"
Unmistakably in the small camp I saw the signs of struggle. Too, on the ground, I saw shed blood.
"They are gone," said the leader of the small men. "They were taken by the Mamba people, those who file their teeth."
The word 'Mamba´ in most of the river dialects does not refer to a venomous reptile as might be expected, given its meaning in English, but, interestingly, is applied rather generally to most types of predatory river tharlarion. The Mamba people were, so to speak, the Tharlarion people. The Mamba people ate human flesh. So, too, does the tharlarion. It Is thus, doubtless, that the people obtained their name.
"How do you know it was the Mamba people?" I asked.
"They came through the forest on foot," said the leader of the small people. "Doubtless they were following you. Doubtless they wished to surprise you."
"How do you know it was they?" I asked.
"We saw them," said one of the men.
"It is our country," said another. "We know much of what occurs here."
"Did you see the attack?" I asked.
"We did not wish to be too close," said another man.
"We are a small people," said another. "There were many of them, and they are large."
"We saw those of your party being led away," said another man.
"They were then alive," I said.
"Yes," said another man.
"Why did you not tell me of these things sooner?" I asked. "We thought you knew of the attack," said one of the men, "and had fled, thus escaping."
"No," I said. "I was hunting."
"We will give you meat, if you wish," said one of the small men. "Our hunting earlier today was successful."
"I must attempt to rescue those of my party," I said.
"There are too many of the Mamba people," said one of the small men. "They have spears and knives."
~ Explorers of Gor

"What is wrong?" I asked.
"I have been looking about the village in the darkness," he whispered.
"Yes?" I said.
"I have found the refuse dump," he said.
"Within the walls?" I asked.
"Yes," he said.
"That is strange," I said. Normally a village would have its refuse dump outside the walls.
"I thought it strange, too," said Ayari. "I took the liberty of examining it."
"Yes?" I said.
"It contains human bones," he said.
"That is doubtless why it is kept within the walls," I said.
"I think so," said Ayari. "That way strangers will not see it before, unsuspecting, they enter the village."
"They seemed friendly fellows," I said. They were, however, I admitted to myself, not the most attractive lot I had ever seen. Their teeth had been filed to points.
"I never trust a man," said Ayari, "until I know what he eats"
"Where are the men of the village?" I asked.
"They are not asleep," said Ayari. "They are gathered in one of the huts."
"I shall awaken Janice and Alice," I said. "Awaken Kisu and Tende."
"I shall do so," he whispered.
In a few Ehn, our things in hand, we crept from the village. By the time we heard men crying out in rage, and saw torches on the shore, we were safely on the river.
~ Explorers of Gor

((This quote is important, not only because it tells about the Mambas tendency towards cannibalism, but also because it shows their scheming ways. Apparently the Mambas had been friendly and inviting, though it is obvious that they had planned on eating their guests, evident by the angered howls prompted by the dicovery of Tarl's departure. The quote also shows that the Mamba people file their teeth, suggesting that they may not cook the flesh before eating it, thereby needing incisor-like teeth to rip through raw meat. I would doubt that it would be a sign of agression, or warning, based on the fact that the Mamba lure their "prey" in by presenting a friendly facade.))

0 comments: